For over a century, the Seattle Martin Luther King Jr. County Branch of the NAACP
has been promoting the dream of equality and opportunity for all.
Upcoming Seattle King County NAACP Elections
Seattle King County NAACP Members:
Please note the following General Membership meetings of the Seattle King County NAACP, for the purpose of election of officers and at-large members of the executive committee.
1. On September 22, 2014 at NAACP Office, 715 23rd Ave S. at 6:30pm, there will be an election of the Nominating Committee. Any member whose membership is current as of 30 days prior to the meeting date may be elected to the Nominating Committee.
2. On October 27, 2014 at NAACP Office, 715 23rd Ave S. at 6:30pm, there will be a report of the Nominating Committee, receipt of Nominations by Petition, and election of the Election Supervisory Committee. Any member whose membership is current as of April 1st may be nominated for office or as an at-large member of the Executive Committee. In order to sign a nominating petition, or be elected to the Election Supervisory Committee, a member must be current as of 30 days prior to the October meeting.
3. On November 24, 2014, the election of officers and at-large members of the Executive Committee will take place at NAACP Office, 715 23rd Ave S. Polls will open from 6:30pm to 7:30pm. In order to vote in a Branch election, one must be a member in good standing of the Branch 30 days prior to the election. A form of identification is required.
We look forward to your participation in these activities.
Seattle King County NAACP Secretary
Do You Know What To Do When Stopped By Law Enforcement?
Be safe not sorry! Secure and read the NAACP real world guide to interacting with law enforcement, "The 411 On The Five-O" brochure. Free copies are available at the Seattle King County NAACP Office (715 23rd Ave. S). Office hours are 10am-12:3pm Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday. If you desire a copy and cannot stop by the office, please call 206-324-6600 and leave a message.
How to file a discrimination complaint:
If you have a Civil/Human Rights or Discrimination complaint that needs to be investigated, please click here for more information.
Want to get involved?
The Seattle King County NAACP serves both Seattle and King County. To find a list of the cities and towns included in King County, please click here.
as we work towards a just, equitable and equal society.
Former President James Bible (42:00), President Hankerson (47:00) and Economic Development Chair Sheley Secrest (1:15:00) speak at a community forum on September 10th in SeaTac, WA in regards to the relationship between law enforcement and the community.
The Seattle King County branch of the NAACP supports Prop 1A…and these are the reasons:
Educational equity is a moral issue.
A contributing factor to the continued growth in the education gap is the lack of affordable childcare for working parents in Seattle and too much money being spent on administrative costs and not making it to the child.
Quality childcare is out of reach for many working parents, particularly women, who are forced to choose between giving their kids to a neighbor or relative where kids may just watch TV all day or hurting their careers and futures by staying home from work or school.
We must acknowledge the hundreds of women who run childcare centers from their homes in Seattle. Many are women of color and have immigrant backgrounds who provide parents and children with accessible care in their own neighborhoods in their home languages.
Prop 1B only helps approximately 7% of Seattle’s children under age 5. The other 93% of Seattle’s kids will still be in unstable, haphazard preschools and childcare. Thus continuing the disparity in education.
Prop 1B is funded for four years and calls for an oversight committee. What happens after 4 years?
Prop 1B is a top down approach. This approach has not worked for the past 40 years, so why should we believe it will work now?
Prop 1A takes a step towards improving racial and gender equality by improving the quality and affordability of childcare and preschool for everyone. Out of pocket costs are capped at 10% of income without requiring new taxes.
Prop 1A is estimated to cost roughly 94% less than Prop 1B and ensures that licensed daycare providers receive quality training.
The lowered out-of-pocket costs and quality training for all providers will enable parents to assure their kids are receiving quality early education thereby leveling the field for all children.
Rita Green, MBA
Education Chair Seattle King County NAACP
Guest Rita Green: Proposition 1B wouldn't help at-risk children - The Seattle Times
Seattle Center: Lunch and Learn
Race and Social Justice Initiative on September 3rd featuring President Hankerson